Graduate Fashion Week x Yasmin Bawa

Style :

Name, age and programme of study?
My name is Yasmin Bawa, I am 21 and studied BA Fashion , Middlesex University. 

What is the inspiration behind your collection? 
The inspiration of the collection was two ideas that I brought together. The first was camera-less photography. I explored how this could be used on fabrics and the printed pieces in the collection we actually printed using light sensitive emulsion and UV light to expose them.

The other inspiration was the Futurist Manifesto of Men’s Clothing by Giacomo Balla. He wanted to abolish drab black suits and started to design these amazing asymmetric and printed suits. I took this idea and played around with suits, incorporating layers, colour, prints and cut-out shapes. The prints in the collection were created while researching the manifesto and the shapes are outlines of text featured in futurist posters and artwork.








What is the story behind your collection? 
My designs focus around detail, texture and colour. I like to incorporate small detailing in the finishings like bound seams, functional pockets, printed linings and laser etched panels. To balance out all of this I often keep the shapes and silhouettes quite simple. This gives the best platform for showing the prints and patterns and also keeps the clothes wearable.
Who the collection is aimed at - both to a client and to a store (e.g 25 year old who shops at Selfridges - but more of a backstory)

The main clientele who my collection is aimed at is less about age and more about someone who likes wearing colour and print!; but I guess the age range I think of when designing is probably 25-35. I’ love to have the interest of the same people who are shopping at B-store, Dover Street Market or any of the great menswear shops have popped up recently. There is a lot of interesting things going on with menswear in London and I’d be grateful to be a part of it!





What is the price point of the collection? 
£40-200 -In the collection I have tried to keep costing to a minimum as I do really want the collection to have the ability to be sold. There is quite a range of prices though; t-shirts and shirts are at the lower prince range but some of the tailoring pieces are more due to the amount of work to make them. 







What you want to do in the future? 
For the moment I want to continue to work with this collection, hopefully remaking some of the pieces or creating a new collection to sell. However eventually I would like a design position within a label. 

To contact Yasmin, please email the address at the top of the page.
Save Graduate Fashion Week x Yasmin Bawa on social network:

Sections


Archive