Graduate Fashion Week x Gemma Williams

Style :

On Sunday afternoon, I skulked around Graduate Fashion Week at Earls Court 2 in West London to hunt out my picks of the best menswear graduates of 2011. What I noticed this year was an increase in menswear designers and the sheer talent of this years students, unrivaled in recent times. I hope you enjoy the looks and interviews... 

Name, age and programme of study. 
Gemma Williams, 21, BA (Hons) Fashion at UCA in Epsom

What is the inspiration behind your collection?

 My collection is inspired by Sherlock Holmes, in particular the short story 'The man with the Twisted Lip'.  I wanted something fun and intriguing, and after reading this story I began thinking about ideas which I thought would work as a collection.
  



What is the story behind your collection? 
I used clues from the story to create details for the garments, including the pockets on the navy rain jacket which reflect pockets being filled with coins and also the blood print that I have used to create a feeling of humour.  The silhouettes were inspired by the garments from the 1920's Sherlock Holmes film, ankle length peg leg trousers, boxy coats and jackets with raglan sleeves, placket shirt openings and details inspired by the traditional deerstalker hat.  I have used details of metal in the poppers and eyelets, as well as small areas of leather to give a stronger look.
Who the collection is aimed at? 
It is aimed at: 20-35 year old who shops at Selfridges, confident person who is willing to experiment with new trends, open-minded to smaller brands as well as top designers, young business man living in London with a good sense of humour, likes to make a statement, earns enough to own latest technology.





What is the price point of the collection? 
Jackets - £270-£350
T-shirts - £35
Shirts - £50
Trousers - £100
Shorts -£80     




What you want to do in the future? 
 I would like to develop my own designs for a range within a store but I would also love to work as a menswear designer for a company such as Burberry.

To contact Gemma please email me at the address at the top of the page. 
Save Graduate Fashion Week x Gemma Williams on social network:

Sections


Archive