Evolution of a Fireplace

Style :

Fireplaces and mantles should be straightforward and simple, but I have always struggled with finding that perfect arrangement.  While enjoying Phoebe Howard's fabulous party for Eddie Ross on Friday, I walked around her beautiful store, amazed at her ability to place objects perfectly throughout a room.  She uses thoughtful restraint to achieve the perfect placement and combination of accessories in the spaces she designs.  I have two non-functioning fireplaces in my home, and with a 10-month old baby, I don't have any immediate plans to make them functional.  With a little inspiration from Phoebe, and some advice and elbow grease from MoS Washington, here is my updated fireplace for (late) fall.










I blogged early this summer about filling my fireplace with shells and fan coral for a beachy summer atmosphere. 












After finding some fabulous brass accessories at an estate sale in Columbia (that I blogged about here), I decided they could be the perfect way to update my fireplace for fall.





I purchased a large heavy brass tray,







and a brass deer head.







It took a couple of iterations (big thank you to MoS Washington for her patience) before we found the right combination.  I had some brass-and-black andirons in my attic, so I added them to the fireplace.  I initially placed the brass tray inside the fireplace on the andirons.  That didn't stay.







 My sweet husband used a masonry drillbit to mount the brass deer head above the fireplace opening, underneath the mantle.












I placed a rectangular gold rope-framed mirror over the fireplace to reflect the light from windows across the room.  A pair of mounted steer horns flanks the mirror, as well as one of my favorite purchases at Decatur Estates- a pair of brass and black koi candlesticks. 







In front of the mirror I placed a red and yellow antique glass vase that belonged to my dad's mother.  The warm colors are perfect for a fall fireplace.







I decided against the brass tray inside the fireplace and instead rescued my summer fern from the cold outdoors.  I placed the brass tray on the side of the fireplace, adding some visual interest to the white brick hearth.







I am happy with the result!  A huge thank you to MoS Washington for helping me find the perfect arrangement!  I can't wait to hang a pretty Christmas wreath over the mirror in a couple of weeks!
Save Evolution of a Fireplace on social network:

Sections


Archive